90 people die from guns, every day. 355 mass shootings in the 336 days of 2015 so far. Racial profiling. Hateful fear of refugees & children from Syria, immigrants from Mexico. Politics. Planned Parenthood. Global warming. GMO food. I’ll stop here, though we all know I could keep going - for days. And if I asked for your comments of additional hate-filled behaviors towards others, we could collectively go on for weeks.
There’s also something else we could do collectively and have it go on for weeks... Here is what I propose.
The world is imperfect. Just like each of us. But it's ok. Through the use of a sankalpa, students of Yoga Tune Up® classes get to explore the technique of focusing on that which they would like to be more evident in their lives. Let's do that collectively, each week with our intentional, positive actions!
I'm not just talking about buying the person behind you coffee, or paying a toll for the car behind you. I'm talking about all of that, and more.
The heart warming little things we can do for others. The pebbles of good in the lake of chaos:
- Complimenting someone with those genuine good thoughts you have of them, but are typically too fearful of saying out of that scary vulnerability.
- Scooting over your yoga mat, or seat and making space without being asked.
- Adding a hand written thank you note on your bill with a decent or above average tip.
- Taking time, sharing time, making effort to spread the love.
- Holding the door a little longer, offering a smile.
- Taking someone's cart back to the store, as you're walking in.
- Talk about the good!
Often we are more naturally inclined to commiserate than we are to share good news in fear of bragging. This month, just 4 days, start to let that fear go. Let's celebrate our awesome goodness!
Share the awesome Pay it Forward Friday activities you see and participate in on social media. Pictures, details, let the good news fly and use #PayItForwardFridays so we can all celebrate.
It's not a cure for all of the problems, but it's a few good pebbles creating ripples of positivity in that crazy lake of chaos that is our current world. Let's start Friday to choose to become overwhelmed with our awesome acts of kindness and senseless beauty!